Rio Arriba County Planning & Zoning

Contact: RACPZ
Address: 1122 Industrial Park Road
City: Española
State: New Mexico
Phone: 505-753-774
Link to your website:
Visitor Views: 5117

RACHC Webpage Info:


Our department is responsible for providing basic infrastructure, maintenance and protection of the County’s resources. We are also responsible for the Rio Arriba County Land Use Ordinances, Subdivision Ordinances, Mapping, GIS, and Rural Addressing. Public meetings, such as the Planning and Zoning Commission are also part of our duties. Staff continues to work with E911 to insure, that all our residents are easily located by emergency responders.

The population of Rio Arriba County has risen dramatically since 1900. Our county is a residential/agricultural land based society with an estimated population of 41,190. The quality of life in the county is characterized by a strong sense of community that is strengthened by a rural lifestyle.

The Planning and Zoning Department consists of three divisions:

The Planning and Zoning Division processes all Development Applications, Use Change Permits, and Business Licenses. Development Applications are regulated by the County's Development and include among other things, applications for amendments to the official zoning map, site plans, variances, special use permits, subdivision plats, amendments to the Comprehensive Plan, and applications for temporary uses.

* A Planner is available throughout the day on a walk-in basis to assist you with any questions regarding land use regulations and applications. For more complicated questions, call ahead for an appointment.
* All businesses paying gross receipts taxes in the County of Rio Arriba must obtain a Business License or Registration. Effective January 1, 2006, a Business License must be obtained from the Planning Department on a yearly basises at the cost of $30.00. For additional information on obtaining a business license, call either of our main numbers.
* For information about the Planning and Zoning Commission, call either of our main number or see our calendar about meetings held monthly, the first Wednesday of each month.
* All County Ordinances are currently available for public viewing on line. See main home page for directions.
Our Permitting/ Code Enforcement Division is here to serve the county hours are now from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Our code inspector(s) are generally available in the office from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and usually conduct field inspections on a daily basis.
*For general questions and information about permitting, call either of our main numbers.
* We do not accept incomplete or inaccurate permits applications. Permits are available at our office for Utility hookups, Building and Foundation permits, and development permits. Permit fees are $50.00 for utility/mobile placement.

* For complaints about violation pertaining to the zoning code such as; too many homes on a lot or trash in a yard contact a code inspector at (505) 753-7774.

* The goal of code enforcement is compliance not punishment. If a complaint does not fall under the Rio Arriba County Design and Development Ordinance, then the code inspector will refer your compliant to the appropriate staff within the County and /or to the appropriate State agency.
* Any person may file a complaint. You must give your name in order to file a complaint. The reason a name is required is; a complaint itself is part of the public record. If a complaint proceeds to court a name is required or it could appears as though the county is acting without a complaint.

The Rural Addressing/GIS Division processes all addressing within the Rio Arriba County areas to issue that all our residents are located for E911 purposes. We issue addresses to residents for the Motor Vehicle department, WIC programs, Utilities, mortgage purposes and E911.
* For general questions and information about the Rural Addressing/GIS Department, call either of our main numbers.

* To obtain proof of a physical address, or changing your address please know your assigned house number and road number.

* Mapping is being done on a daily basis you can obtain a copy of County Road Map Booklet in our office for a fee of $15.00.

* Other larger maps are available upon request and can be obtained but you need to make an appointment with the Rural Addressing Department supervisor.
Main Menu - Click Here Quick Search

Categories:Resources WebSite Statistics Special Features Contact
Need Help?

Notify us if you have problems using our site.

RA County Dept. H & HS


It's Virus Season!